Friday, February 4, 2011

Healthy Heart

To get a woman's heart a man must first use his own.

February 4, 2011 is National Wear Red Day to promote Heart Health for Women. Did you know that it is the number one killer of woman over 25? Treat your heart like it is truly on your sleeve. Eat healthy, workout and watch your stress levels. 1 in 3 women will die from heart disease. If you would like to learn more or make a donation you can by clicking here.

Today I wore my red in support. Did you?!

Does it look like I have a lopsided boob here? haha! Anywho, this morning I woke up to find the tilapia I made for Chris untouched (he worked past midnight). Looks like I got lucky and didn't have to prepare a lunch for today! What did I do with my time???? 

Took more pictures of myself! Duh.

I also made a smoothie for breakfast since I knew I was eating a hearty lunch. You guessed it... I used my magic bullet again! It's so handy and since we don't have a dishwasher (other than my own two hands) I like how easy it is to clean!

Cara's Banana, Mango and Peach Smoothie:
1/2 banana
1/2 cup mango
1/2 cup frozen peaches
3 oz. vanilla fat free greek yogurt
2 tablespoons OJ

Directions:
Combine all ingredients in your bullet/blender. Pulse until smooth and go!


Looks good huh? It was. Did I ever mention to you guys that my gym offers kickboxing on Fridays too? I don't know many people who work out on Fridays, but this girl is! I'm a little sore today but I can't pass up my favorite class being offered twice a week now!

heading out to the gym!
Before I go into dinner and my workout I thought I would share some fun Friday facts. I do a lot of researching and reading on the elliptical and always find interesting or fun things!   

Avoid traveling abroad in the summer, prices are higher. Your dollar will go a lot further in South American countries like Argentina and Uruguay. I'm down for Argentina. A nice tan, sandals and a dress is all i need!

Kids who live with dogs are calmer, easily adjust to new surrounding, have 50% less allergies, and are more likely to fight weight gain. No wonder I love my pups so much!

There are a lot of explanations as to why women tend to put on a few pounds during the winter. Comfort food cravings. The chilly weather, which makes it hard to get out of bed and to the gym. And of course the fact that there's no motivation in the form of shorts and bikinis to stay svelte. Trying to break the winter lbs spell!

Spinning, cardio kickboxing, and boot-camp workouts. Half an hour of each torches 200 to 300 calories while toning up your arms, legs, and core so everything appears sleeker and tighter. Thank goodness I had a kickboxing date at 7!

Back from the gym to cook up some dinner and finish my post. There was NO kickboxing class tonight. Have you ever looked forward to something and it be completely not what you were expecting? That was me in the class... Hip Hop class. The teacher was an older woman in jeans and sneakers. I left after 5 minutes because lets be honest. I'm a white girl who can only "grind" on a man after a few drinks...not in a class with older women. So I did 30 on the elliptical and abs.

If you must stay home to watch the next episode of Jersey Shore I found a good at home workout here. Just day dreaming about a trip abroad or a cruise to an island makes going to the gym easier. Recently I have been searching and following other health blogs looking for inspiration and new ideas. Stephanie @ the new healthy has a great blog, amazing story and is going vegan next week... maybe I'll try going all fish one week soon!

Tonight's dinner was a shrimp, spinach, corn and black bean quesadilla.  I dipped it in some fat free sour cream.


Cara's Shrimp Quesadilla:
1 wrap
1/2 cup uncooked shrimp (probably 1/3 cup cooked)
1 large handful spinach
2 heaping spoonfuls corn
2 heaping spoonfuls black beans
1/4 cup reduced fat cheese
2 tablespoons fat free sour cream

Directions:
Cook shrimp in a pan drizzled with olive oil. Season with garlic/oldbay/s&p. Cook fully. Next, cook your spinach in a drizzle of olive oil with garlic powder and pepper. Layer 1/2 of your cheese on 1/2 of  your wrap. Layer the sprimp, corn, black beans and spinach. Layer the remainder of your cheese. Press wrap (i use a george foreman). DONE!

Tonight I am going out with these pretty girls! Hard to believe this picture was taken 3+ years ago!


Day 8 of my 30 day blog challenge: Places you have been

1. San Francisco
2. Boston
3. Maine
4. Florida
5. Jamaica
6. DC
7. lots more but I can't think because I am so hunnggrryy!

So while I go eat my delicious quesadilla enjoy these pics of places I have been.



xoxo,
Cara

PS- I updated my recipe page and it is 34953049742 times better/easier to use! Check it out if you have a minute!

6 comments:

  1. haha nice last picture!
    i am going vegan next week too :) its national go vegan week! DC is having a lot of deals...maybe we could get a blogger meet up and do something there. is that dorky? haha
    good job on the red today... i wore mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not dorky at all! You live close so I don't know why we haven't thought of this sooner! If I wasn't paying for my gym I would say we could do the Annapolis Whole Foods Healthy Challenge. You get a free month membership at the 24 hour Fitness in Annap Towne Center...

    Maybe I'll go vegan with you, but only if you give me some good recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, thanks for the shout out beautiful girl! I work out on Fridays too--gets me energized for the weekend! :)

    Have a great night out with your girls!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. skinny bitch in the kitch is a good vegan recipe book, Tim got me it for valentines one year :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Steph! I meant every word ;-)

    Brit! Yay you can come over one night and we can cook dinner! Sound good??!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just saw the post! i would love to just tell me when/ maybe a workout sesh too?

    ReplyDelete