Sunday, February 20, 2011

Snowboarding

 "the moment you feel like giving up, just remember why you held on for so long."

Happy Sunday everyone! I hope everyone took advantage of the 77 degree weather in Maryland {or where ever you live}. I don't think I saw one angry tweet or post - the weather does that to people! Magiccc!

Friday my department decided to take the water taxi across the harbor to fells for lunch. Best idea ever! I reminded myself that I wasn't crazy for wearing flip flops with chipped paint on my toes, my feet were thanking me for re-introducing them to the sun after many months being jammed into tights and socks. It was gorgeous out! While everyone ordered sandwiches and fries I stuck to healthy. I ordered an Apple Winter Salad. It was delicious! It had green apple slices, pecans, blue cheese {i omitted} and a honey mint vinaigrette on top of spring greens. I need to replicate that dressing, it was soo good! This recipe should do the trick.

Honey Mint Vinaigrette:
1/2 cup good olive oil
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
2 heaped teaspoons mild honey
juice of half a lemon
1 clove garlic,crushed
quarter teaspoon salt
pepper, freshly ground
mint leaves freshly harvested (if available)

Directions:
Combine all ingredients together and wisk.

My gorgeous friend Brittany and her adorable daughter came over Friday. We were in destination mall mode. I bought some new foundation - Urban Decay Surreal Skin Cream-to-Powder Foundation in Dream. I have used Stila for 3+ years now, and although I like that it is light on my face it never covered well. This foundation is quickly becoming my best friend. Paired with NARS pore refining face primer, I think I am in love. The face primer really does as it claims. My skin is already evening out and I have only used it for two days. Highly recommend both.

The Adorable Jayden
We also made oatmeal bars. I got the recipe from my cousin when she heard I was looking to make my own snack bars. These turned out great, but I recommend eating in the morning because they really do taste like your bowl of oatmeal.

Baked Oatmeal Snack Bars:
1.5 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup chopped almonds
3/4 cup dried fruit (I used half dried cranberries, half dried blueberries)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp kosher salt
1.25 cups skim milk
1 egg or egg substitute
1 tsp vanilla

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix dry ingredients. Mix wet ingredients. Pour wet into dry. Stir to combine. Pour into a 9×9 baking dish either coated in cooking spray or lined with parchment.Bake for 40 minutes. Cut into 9 squares. Makes 9 servings. Each bar is appx. 165 calories, 3 grams fiber and 5 grams protein.



I am guilty of adding sugar free syrup to my bar. I wanted sweets since we had just ate dinner and who can resist syrup?! Wrap the rest in plastic wrap and freeze. Stick in the microwave for a warm treat or snack at lunch!

Saturday I woke up to breakfast in bed - I know, lucky girl. Followed by running errands and stopping at Panera Bread for lunch. I got the Fiji Apple and Chicken Salad and a cup of Black Bean soup {vegetarian and low fat}. I really am getting the hang of ordering healthy when we are out and I feel so much better when I leave {mentally and physically}. I need to add apple chips to my shopping list, loved them on a salad!

Then we were off! Chris took me snowboarding for the day as my Valentine's Day present. It was my second time and thankfully my skills improved slightly. My first time I came home with bruises all over my legs, tears in my eyes and a frustrated POV. No more, because honestly that wasn't enjoyable for either of us. This time I made it down the hill 4 times, shed no tears and luckily have only baby bruises! Did I mention I didn't rip my pants down the butt this time either? SCORE. I did fall a good bit the first time down and thought I broke my wrists about 6 times, but the day was a complete success in my mind and Chris was proud.

Don't worry, nobody wears makeup on the slopes!!

We pigged out afterward at Olive Garden - I felt like I had just done squats for 3 hours straight and deserved a little treat! Calamari, Spinach Artichoke Dip and salad from Olive Garden. I can't even look at the leftover pasta in my fridge that I didn't touch. I am having eating remorse...help!

Day 22: What’s in your purse?
Everything. Lip gloss, camera, wallet, tissues, chap stick, 2 perfume bottles, lotion, nail strengthener brush from Sephora, cell phone, reading glasses and sun glasses. Thank god we aren't rockin' the teeny tiny purses we were in middle school. That was a pain having to pre-think of what you needed!

Day 23: Favorite Movie
I recently loved and learned a lot from Eat, Pray, Love. It was the recent favorite. I swear I already answered this question though....

Hope you have a great Sunday Funday! I picked up at the restaurant like a dummy when Chris had off work. Oh well, my hair will be thanking me this weekend :)

xoxo,
Cara

6 comments:

  1. I love Apple chips! Sophia from www.ravenwavesblog.wordpress.com sent me some, and I am now in love! Haha! :) Glad you had fun, I've never been snowboarding, but the fiance loves it, so I'll probably end up out there at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah you just reminded me i meant to make protein granola bars for myself this week... Good job alyssa!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm...I used to feast off of apple chips! now i want some!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katy! I definitely suggest going skiing unless you are one of those lucky naturally coordinated girls. I am glad his friends came along so I could give my tush a break!

    yay! i always need more recipes for granola bars lyss! sorry i can't make it today, our agency doesn't have off president's day. abe would be ashamed.

    kristina - pick me up a bag! me and chris brainstormed ways we could make them at home but i dont think it is possible to "vacuum the air out of apples". hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  5. and ps! ill fix all the grammatical errors today, can you tell i was in a rush?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh wow Cara how fun :) That seems like a great time and def needing some of those apple chips! thanks for your comment on my blog too- its nice to know that i'm not the only one that went through it. xo stay strong lady!

    ReplyDelete