Wednesday, October 12, 2011

WIAW Butternut Squash Lasagna

Another week, another WIAW post! 



Jenn at Peas and Crayons hosts a WIAW link up party every week to showcase what other bloggers are eating to give you inspiration on your weekly meals.

For breakfast I had my usual yogurt and fruit bowl.

Yogurt, honey, apples, peaches and a sprinkle of cinnamon! So delicious and fall like :)

For lunch I had leftover chili. Leftover chili is always the best. The flavors get to come together and it tastes better the longer it sits!



This is a lentil vegetarian chili I found the recipe on Pinterest. I'll post about it soon you so guys can have as well! It was great and I love how the recipe thickened it up with tomato paste. I like a thick chili :)

For dinner I made a butternut squash lasagna. It wasn't a quick dinner to prepare, but it was definitely worth the love I put into the dish!

 First I peeled and de-seeded my butternut squash. I covered all sides with nutmeg, cinnamon, olive oil, salt and pepper. (sage would have been great but I didn't have any)

After baking it in a 400 degree oven for 40-50 minutes it was ready to be mashed! I didn't puree my squash because I wanted a thicker texture. See all that steam?!

I added it to a bowl with the rest of my filling ingredients. 1 cup ricotta, 1/2 cup parm cheese, 1 egg, salt and pepper. Again, you could add more nutmeg and sage, but I read reviews that said if you did it would be a sweeter lasagna. So I omitted more cinnamon and nutmeg.

 I layered the cooked lasagna noodles with my squash mixture, mozzarella cheese and a low fat bechamel sauce. Recipe here :-) Cover with foil and bake in a 375 degree oven for 30 minutes. Enjoy!!

And that's a wrap! I will tell you one thing, I am excited for this weekend. Anything involving planning I immediately love! I am cooking breakfast for the girls this weekend before our boys race in Seagull Century and we have lots of fun things planned.

Hope you like pumpkin! They are taste testing my pumpkin french toast recipe :-)
Pin It

8 comments:

  1. I can't wait til you post that chili recipe. Looks delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a yogurt bowl this morning too, so flipping good!
    I agree about chili, the longer it sits, the better it gets :)

    Jen@FoodFamilyFitness

    ReplyDelete
  3. that chili looks awesome. i made some veggie chili last night too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. eeee yay! thanks for posting a full day of eats to the party love! <3 happy wiaw!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i agree that leftover chili is great. and you can use it in so many ways! eat it plain, put it on a hot dog, toss it up with some pasta. any leftovers that don't have to be eaten the same way are high ranking in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the butternut squash lasagna recipe! I will have to try that on a "cheat" day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just made pumpkin chili and am about to eat it :) It's Vegetarian so you might like it!

    I was thinking of making a pumpkin lasagna next week but i bet you the butternut squash would be easier bc i can buy it pre-cut. Looks realllly good!

    I made pumpkin french toast a couple of weeks ago and Adam requests it all the time now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a big chili fan, it definitely is better the next day! I gotta give that squash lasagna a try :D

    ReplyDelete